Collection on Abraham Lincoln
Scope and Contents
Born in 1809, Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth president of the United States, from 1861 until his death by assassination on April 15, 1865.
The Collection on Abraham Lincoln consists of approximately 1.25 linear ft. of material. This collection is a small record of the history of memorializing, and sometimes criticizing, President Lincoln. From ceramic tiles to postcards, from matchbooks to electioneering lithographs, this collection provides a rich resource for those interested in the ways Lincoln’s image was presented to the public. Other formats include macerated money silhouettes, woodcuts, electioneering pins, and a sewing kit box. The eclectic contents also have relevance for questions not necessarily specific to Lincoln, such as commercial commemorative practices in the hundred years after the Civil War.
- 1860-1952, undated
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is in accordance with the policies of the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University. Please contact the department for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests to reproduce or publish material from the collection should be directed to the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University.
1.25 Linear Feet (1 record center box, 1 manuscript box, 11 oversized folders, 1 oversized cardboard enclosure)
Language of Materials
Arranged in six series: 1. Lithographs, 1860-1928; 2. Photographs, 1860-1865; 3. Postcards, 1909-1952; 4. Framed Prints, 1864-1865; 5. Realia, 1909, 1919, undated; 6. Printed Matter, 1865-1896.
For more information about each series, please consult the series descriptions in the box and folder listing.
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 -- Archives Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 -- Exhibitions Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 -- Relics Subject Source: Lcnaf
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Collectibles Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jonathan Sudholt
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note