Helmut Hirsch Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains correspondence by Helmut Hirsch and members of the Hirsch family; short stories, poems, sketches, and other creative work by Hirsch; scholarly and popular media materials describing Hirsch's life; government and legal documents regarding Hirsch's death sentence and attempt to be recognized as an American citizen; scrapbooks, diaries, and photographs made and compiled by Hirsch and his family; and books written about Hirsch. Many of the German-language materials in the collection have been translated into English by Katherine Hirsch (Hirsch's sister). For clarity's sake, several variants of Ms. Hirsch's name (Catherine Hirsch, Catherine Sugarman, Katherine Sugarman, Katie Hirsch, etc.) have been changed to "Katherine Hirsch" unless the alternative sobriquets appear in the original document title.
- Majority of material found in 1930-1937
- Other: Date acquired: 1997
- Hirsch, Helmut, 1916-1937 (Person)
- Hirsch, Siegfried, 1878-1940 (Person)
- Hirsch, Marta Neuburger, 1882-1944 (Person)
- Sugarman, Catherine M., 1917-2016 (Person)
- Seidel, Hans-Joachim (Person)
- Ernst, Irving L. (Person)
- Strasser, Otto, 1897-1974 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is in accordance with the policies of the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University. Please contact the department for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests to reproduce or publish material from the collection should be directed to the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University.
5.00 Linear Feet
9 manuscript boxes, 1 oversized roll of sketches, 1 film reel other_unmapped
Language of Materials
Arranged in seven series: 1. Correspondence, 1933-1997; 2. Creative Work by Helmut Hirsch, 1924-1994; 3. Media and Critical Work about Helmut Hirsch, 1937-1997; 4. School Records, 1916-1937; 5. Death Sentence and Citizenship Records, 1935-1937; 6. Photographs, 1921-1936; Books, 1928-1984. For more information about each series, please consult the series descriptions in the box and folder listing.
Source of Acquisition
Donated by Katherine Sugarman (nee Hirsch) in 1997. Photo of Rabbi David Hirsh donated by Dorothy Broadman in 2020.
Other Descriptive Information
Addenda to this collection may not be listed in the finding aid, but may be available for research use. Please contact us for more information.
- Anti-Nazi movement Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Deutsche Jungenschaft (Organization)
- Germany -- History -- 1933-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Germany -- Politics and government -- 1933-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Germany--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grunow, Heinrich, 1900-1945
- Hitler, Adolf, 1889-1945 Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Kampfgemeinschaft Revolutionärer Nationalsozialisten
- Koebel, Eberhard, 1907-1955
- National socialism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political prisoners -- Germany -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Strasser, Otto, 1897-1974
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Brandeis University Repository
415 South St.