Sacco and Vanzetti collections: Mrs. Walter Frank Collection, 1927-1963
Scope and Contents
This collection was a gift of Mrs. Walter Frank (Adelaide Schulkind) in 1968. She was the acting secretary for the Sacco-Vanzetti National League (New York) from about 1930-1932. Much of the collection consists of correspondence to, and from, the Sacco-Vanzetti National League.
The collection's importance lies chiefly in the correspondence from 1927-1932, which was written by and to people who belonged to either the Sacco-Vanzetti National League (New York)or the Sacco-Vanzetti Defense Committee (Boston). This correspondence illustrates the aftermath of the Sacco-Vanzetti trial; what was done by people convinced of their innocence to keep the issue of injustice alive. Important correspondents include Robert Morss Lovett, Gardner Jackson, and Felix Frankfurter.
The correspondence from the 1960s divide into two series; letters written to Frank Russell that look back upon the Sacco-Vanzetti trial, and letters exchanged between Tom O'Connor and Vincenzina Vanzetti. The O'Connor-Vanzetti letters, written nearly forty years after the trial, show two people who continue to hope that Sacco and Vanzetti's innocence could still be proven.
The several photographs in the collection were taken of some of the principal members involved in the Sacco-Vanzetti trial. A few of the photographs include members of the Sacco and Vanzetti families.
- Majority of material found in 1927-1932
- Other: Date acquired: 19680000
- Frank, Adelaide Schulkind (1896-1981) (Creator, Person)
- Axelrad, Jacob (Correspondent, Person)
- Bailey, Forrest (1876-1933) (Correspondent, Person)
- Bloor, Ella Reeve, 1862-1951 (Correspondent, Person)
- Chafee, Zechariah, 1885-1957 (Jr. ) (Correspondent, Person)
- Clarke, Edwin L. , 1888-1948 (Correspondent, Person)
- Codman, John S. (Correspondent, Person)
- Cohen, Morris R. (Morris Raphael), 1880-1947 (Correspondent, Person)
- Conlan, Frank (Correspondent, Person)
- Croly, Herbert David, 1869-1930 (Correspondent, Person)
- Frankfurter, Felix, 1882-1965 (1882-1965) (Correspondent, Person)
- Huntley, Margaret S. (Recipient, Person)
- Lovett, Robert Morss, 1870-1956 (Recipient, Person)
- Pattinson, Emma (Correspondent, Person)
- Wilson, Mary Lena (1902-1960) (Recipient, Person)
- Winslow, Gertrude Laverack, 1877-1934 (Correspondent, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is in accordance with the policies of Brandeis University Libraries, Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests to reproduce or publish material from the collection should be directed to the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department.
1.00 Linear Feet
1 manuscript box other_unmapped
0.50 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Arranged in six series. 1. Sacco-Vanzetti National League (New York, NY), 1927-1930; Series 2. Sacco-Vanzetti Defense Committee (Boston, MA), 1927-1930; Series 3. Tom O'Connor: Vincenzina Vanzetti Correspondence, 1962-1963; Series 4. Correspondence to Frank Russell, 1961; Series 5. Publisher's Notices and Book Reviews Folders, 1930s-1962; Series 6. Photographs and Death Masks, 1927-1963
For more information about each series, please consult the series descriptions in the box and folder listing.
Source of Acquisition
Mrs. Walter Frank
- Personal correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sacco, Nicola, 1891-1927
- Sacco-Vanzetti National League
- Sacco-Vanzetti Trial, Dedham, Mass., 1921 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Trials (Murder) -- Massachusetts -- Dedham Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Trials (Murder) -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vanzetti, Bartolomeo, 1888-1927
- Susan Pyzynski
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Brandeis University Repository
415 South St.