Rudolph Binion collection
Scope and Contents
The Rudolph Binion collection includes thirty-one folders of diverse archival material acquired in the service of Professor Binion's research in Germany. Many documents contain information about Adolf Hitler, including his childhood, youth, political beginnings, and key associates. Dated materials range from 1882 to 2008 and include professional correspondence, World War II testimony, military reports, interviews, articles, speeches, and drawings. One folder contains materials relating to a course Professor Binion taught at Brandeis called Modern European Thought and Culture. Documents of particular note consist of those relating to Hitler’s World War I psychiatrist Edmund Forster, including a rare transcript of an investigation into Forster conducted at the request of a Nazi Party member in the Spring of 1933. A significant portion of the collection is in German. Most documents are photocopies and all handwritten notes are by Profession Binion.
- 1882-2008, undated
- Majority of material found in 1920-1940
- Other: Date acquired: 2003-06-18
- Binion, Rudolph, 1927-2011 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is in accordance with the policies of the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University. Please contact the department for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests to reproduce or publish material from the collection should be directed to the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University.
1.00 Linear Feet
1 record center box other_unmapped
Arranged in two series: 1. Research material and archival documents, 1882-1979; 2. Modern European Thought and Culture course material, 2008. Materials arranged in original order. For more information about each series, please consult the series descriptions in the box and folder listing.
Source of Acquisition
Donated by Professor Rudolph Binion from 2003 to 2010..
Other Descriptive Information
Addenda to this collection may not be listed in the finding aid, but may be available for research use. Please contact us for more information.
- Brandeis University -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Europe -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Germany -- Civilization Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Germany -- History -- 1933-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Germany -- Politics and government -- 1933-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hitler, Adolf, 1889-1945 Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Psychohistory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Alex W. Lough
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note