Albert Einstein collection
Scope and Contents
The materials in this collection were created from 1896 through 1952. The majority is personal and professional correspondence, including a large number of letters from Einstein to American Jewish leader Stephen Wise. There are also several letters from prominent scientists such as Fritz Haber, Paul Habicht, Hendrik Lorentz, Max Planck, and Wilhelm Conrad Rontgen, and two items from German playwright Gerhart Hauptmann. In most cases, the correspondence consists of original signed copies written in German or English. In addition to correspondence, there is a small number of other items such as canceled checks signed by Einstein, photographs, autograph books, translated quotations, a handwritten and signed speech, and text from a possible manuscript.
- Einstein, Albert, 1879-1955 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is in accordance with the policies of the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University. Please contact the department for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests to reproduce or publish material from the collection should be directed to the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University.
1.00 Linear Feet (2 manuscript boxes)
Language of Materials
Arranged in four series: 1. Einstein, Albert-Stephen Wise Correspondence, 1934-1949; 2. Einstein Family Correspondence, 1896-1937; 3. Non-family Correspondence, 1902-1952; 4. Personal Materials, 1934, undated.
For more information about each series, please consult the series descriptions in the box and folder listing.
Other Descriptive Information
Addenda to this collection may not be listed in the finding aid, but may be available for research use. Please contact us for more information.
- Brandeis, Louis Dembitz, 1856-1941 -- Correspondence
- Dukas, Helen
- Einstein, Albert, 1879-1955 -- Correspondence
- Einstein, Elsa, 1876-1936
- Einstein, Maja, 1881-1951
- Einstein-Marić, Mileva, 1875-1948
- Haber, Fritz, 1868-1934 -- Correspondence
- Hauptmann, Gerhart, 1862-1946 -- Correspondence
- Lorentz, H. A. (Hendrik Antoon), 1853-1928 -- Correspondence
- Muther, Richard, 1860-1909
- Physicists -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Physics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Planck, Max, 1858-1947
- Röntgen , Wilhelm Conrad , 1845-1923 -- Correspondence
- Wise, Louise Waterman -- Correspondence
- Wise, Stephen S. (Stephen Samuel), 1874-1949 -- Correspondence
- Zionism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Steven Butzel
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note