Léon Lipschutz collection of Dreyfusiana and French Judaica
Scope and Contents
The bulk of the items in this collection relate to the Dreyfus Affair in France during the 1890s and early 1900s. These materials include newspaper clippings, cartoons, books, and studio photographs of many of the key players in the Affair. Particularly well represented are anti-Semitic newspaper clippings and caricatures, which characterize the anti-Dreyfus movement. The collection also contains some correspondence between the major figures involved in the Affair, notably Georges Clemenceau and Émile Zola.
In addition to the Dreyfus materials, the collection contains a number of documents related to the Jewish community in France between the French Revolution and World War II. These items include essays on particular French Jewish communities, correspondence dealing with Biblical translation, and Hebrew-French coin collecting.
Léon Lipschutz, who compiled this collection and donated it to Brandeis in 1970, wrote an annotated finding aid that describes each piece in varying degrees of detail. This document provides the researcher with historical commentary and analysis on both the Dreyfus Affair and the French Jewish community. The collection includes the Lipschutz finding aid in the original French and a translation into English completed in March 2009.
The majority of the correspondence in this collection has been transcribed in French and translated into English. Researchers may compare original documents to their corresponding transcriptions and translations to assess accuracy of interpretation and discernment of difficult-to-read handwriting. Please contact the Department for access to these materials.
The digitization of this collection was made possible through the generosity of Betty J. Gluck and in honor of Abraham Bleich.
- Lipschutz, Léon (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is in accordance with the policies of the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University. Please contact the department for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests to reproduce or publish material from the collection should be directed to the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University.
2.00 Linear Feet
4 manuscript boxes, 2 clamshell boxes, 1 oversize folder other_unmapped
2.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in five series; within each series, the items are ordered as they originally arrived at Brandeis, matching the ordering found within Mr. Lipschutz's guide. The five series are as folows: 1. Lipschutz guide to the collection, undated 2. Correspondence, essays, and manuscripts, 1796-1948 3. Newspaper clippings and ephemera, 1894-1948 4. Photographs, [1894-1906, est.] 5. Anatole France's draft manuscript L'anneau d'amethyste, [1897-1899, est.] For more information about each series, please consult the series descriptions in the box and folder listing.
Source of Acquisition
Donated by Léon Lipschutz.
- Antisemitism -- France Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Brandeis University
- Clemenceau, Georges, 1841-1929 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dreyfus, Alfred, 1859-1935
- Dreyfus, Alfred, 1859-1935 -- Bibliography Subject Source: Lcnaf
- France -- History -- Third Republic, 1870-1940 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- France -- Politics and Government -- 1870-1940 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- France Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lipschutz, Leon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lipschutz, Leon, donor Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Zola, Emile, 1840-1902 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Surella Seelig
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Brandeis University Repository
415 South St.