Skip to main content

Board of Trustees: George Alpert Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 01-MWalB00171A

Scope and Contents

The materials in this collection were created from 1913-1984, with the bulk of materials dated from 1945-1981. They include correspondence, memoranda, meeting minutes, by-laws, reports, policy statements, employment contracts, news releases, newspaper articles, financial documents (related to audits, budgets, loans, mortgages, leases, and tax matters,) architectural drawings, land lot plans, invitations and notes.

The large majority of materials relate to participants and processes involved in the strategic planning and foundation of the University, as well as administrative matters of concern to the chairman of the Board of Trustees or other Board members.

Dates

  • 1913-1984, undated
  • Majority of material found in 1945-1981

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Some material is restricted; please consult the University Archivist. All materials must be reviewed before providing access, particularly those in the following series: Correspondence, Fundraising, Financial Operations, and Students.

Biographical / Historical

George Alpert was the first Chairman of the Brandeis University Board of Trustees. He held this position from 1946-1954 and remained a Board member for the rest of his life. In 1953, he received the University’s first honorary degree.

Born in 1898 and raised in Boston, Massachusetts, Alpert graduated from English High School in 1915 and from Boston University Law School in 1918. From 1924-1927, he served as an assistant district attorney for Suffolk County, Massachusetts; he later opened the law firm Alpert & Alpert with his brother Herbert.

During that time he also served as the general counsel for the New Haven railroad’s biggest shipper. This represented the start of his professional relationship with the railroad industry. He was later appointed a director of the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad, and in 1956, was elected President.

Throughout his life, Alpert was active in philanthropic and educational organizations. In addition to his work at Brandeis, Alpert was an honorary co-chairman of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, a member of the board of trustees of the Franklin (N.H.) Hospital, a member of the Associated Jewish Philanthropies and the Combined Jewish Appeal, a trustee of Temple Ohabei Shalom, and a co-chairman of the United Jewish Appeal.

Alpert had three children with his first wife Gertrude Levin. After her death, he remarried but had no further children. George Alpert died in 1988.

Extent

12 Linear Feet (11 record center boxes, 2 document boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Author
unknown
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Edition statement
Transferred from html version of finding aid 4/6/18

Repository Details

Part of the Brandeis University Repository

Contact:
415 South St.
Waltham MA

About Us

The Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department at Brandeis University consists of two collecting units, the University Archives and Special Collections. University Archives documents the history and development of Brandeis University and its faculty, staff, students, and alumni. Special Collections features a broad array of unique primary source materials across a wide range of disciplines that support research, teaching and learning at Brandeis. Learn more about our collections