Spanish Civil War periodical collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains 394 titles, including newspapers, magazines, bulletins, newsletters, and journals documenting the Spanish Civil War. Titles are dated as early as 1923 and as late as 2009, with the bulk of the collection being published during the war years, 1936-1939. The publications originate in Spain, various European and World nations, and the United States, and they detail the politics, economics, and military and social effects and policies of the Spanish Civil War on Spain and the international community. Many of the publications are the official journals or newsletters of particular political or military groups, and thus offer focused insights into numerous sides of the conflict. In addition, later publications offer perspective on the continued memory of the war in Spain, in veterans’ collective consciousness, and abroad. Authors include numerous unknowns as well as notables such as Jef Last, Leon Trotsky, Ed DeNeve (Willem Johan Marie “Jean” Lenglet), Nico Rost, Jacques Bardoux, and Antonio Machado.
- Majority of material found in 1936-1939
- Auden, W. H. (Wystan Hugh), 1907-1973 (Author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is in accordance with the policies of the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University. Please contact the department for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests to reproduce or publish material from the collection should be directed to the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University.
Language of Materials
Arranged in 394 series, alphabetically by publication title [article title in the case of an individual page]. For more information about each series, please consult the series descriptions in the box and folder listing.
Existence and Location of Originals
Other Descriptive Information
Spanish Civil War books and pamphlets http://tinyurl.com/3phhprf
Processed by Craig Bruce Smith in 2010.
- Brandeis University
- Spain -- History -- Civil War, 1936-1939 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spain -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spain -- History -- Civil War, 1936-1939 -- Periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spain -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Craig Bruce Smith
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note