Brandeis University photography collection
Scope and Contents
Files in this collection contain prints, contact sheets, and some negatives and slides of images documenting the history and development of Brandeis University (1940-2004, undated; bulk 1946-1997). Most photographs were taken by university photographers Ralph Norman and Julian Brown. The collection complements a much larger photo negative and slide collection, which is cataloged in a separate, in-house database. Many prints and contact sheets in this collection contain negative numbers assigned by the university photographer that correspond to master negatives in the larger negative/slide collection. For contact sheets, the corresponding negative numbers are listed in brackets in the folder title, unless otherwise specified.
- Creation: 1940-2004, undated
- Creation: Majority of material found in 1946-1997
- Norman, Ralph (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is in accordance with the policies of the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University. Please contact the department for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests to reproduce or publish material from the collection should be directed to the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University.
Biographical or Historical Information
From 1948-1950, Ralph Norman documented the founding of Brandeis University as a commercial photographer. In 1950, he became the first University Photographer and remained in that position until his retirement in August of 1981. Ralph Norman was followed by Kevin Strauss, a Brandeis 1974 graduate who had previously worked with Ralph, who was University Photographer between August 1981 and the Spring semester of 1983. Julian Brown then served as University Photographer from Fall of 1983 to 2001. Michael Lovett succeeded Brown as University Photographer from November 2001 to October 2022. The current University Photographer is Dan Holmes (December 2022 to the present).
24.00 Linear Feet
17 record center boxes, 5 manuscript boxes, 9 oversized flat boxes, 5 irregular boxes, 3 loose photographs, 2 large posters other_unmapped
24.00 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Arranged in eleven alphabetical series: 1. Board of Trustees Photographs, 1985-1990, undated; 2. Julian Brown Photographs, 1983-1997, undated; 3. Campus Photographs, 1940-1984, undated; 4. Contact Sheets, 1950-1983, undated; 5. Albert Einstein Photographs, 1946-1947, undated; 6. From the Beginning Photographs, 1950-1987, undated; 7. Negatives, circa 1950-1995, undated; 8. Photographs of Individuals, 1948-1997, undated; 9. Photographs of Subjects, 1947-2000, undated; 10. Slides, circa 1950-1994, undated; 11. Ephemera, 1978-2004.
For more information about each series, please consult the series descriptions in the box and folder listing.
Source of Acquisition
Transferred over time from the Office of Communications.
- Auden, W. H. (Wystan Hugh), 1907-1973 (Person)
- Bandarage, Asoka, 1950- (Person)
- Bittner, Egon, 1921- (Person)
- Brown, Julian (Julian Parham) (Person)
- Conrad, Peter, 1945- (Person)
- Copland, Aaron, 1900-1990 (Person)
- Fuchs, Lawrence H. (Person)
- Fuller, R. Buckminster (Richard Buckminster), 1895-1893 (Person)
- Hook, Sidney, 1902-1989 (Person)
- Kanter, Rosabeth Moss (Person)
- King, Martin Luther, 1929-1968 (Jr.) (Person)
- Maslow, Abraham H. (Abraham Harold), 1908-1970 (Person)
- Miliband, Ralph (Person)
- Lodge, Henry Cabot, 1902-1985 (Jr.) (Person)
- Lerner, Max, 1902-1992 (Person)
- Lucier, Alvin (Person)
- Norman, Ralph (Person)
- Tillich, Paul, 1886-1965 (Person)
- Roosevelt, Eleanor, 1884-1962 (Person)
- Saler, Benson (Person)
- Sarna, Nahum M. (Person)
- Tuchman, Gaye (Person)
- Williams, Dessima (Person)
- Brandeis University (Organization)
- Brandeis University Photography collection
- Kim Allegretto
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note