Skip to main content

Brandeis University Architecture collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 04-MWalB00029A

Scope and Contents

Material in this collection were created from 1886 through 2006 (bulk, 1935-1998).  Items include photographs, articles, maps, architectural plans and sketches, exhibit cards, and narrative descriptions.  This collection represents a compilation of materials from a variety of sources concerning the architecture of individual buildings and the general campus.  A significant portion of the collection includes an exhibit on Usen Castle produced by Joel Grushkin (Brandeis 1978), titled "Usen Castle in Perspective."  Other items of note include photographs of the campus when it was owned by Middlesex University and an interview with Max Abramovitz. This collection also contains interior and exterior plans and sketches of individual buildings, architectural plans and sketches for the general campus, topographical maps of the area and Waltham, and assorted other plans and sketches relating to Brandeis architecture.

Dates

  • 1886-2006, undated
  • Majority of material found in 1935-1999

Conditions Governing Access

Access to the collection is in accordance with the policies of the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University.

Conditions Governing Use

Requests to reproduce or publish material from the collection should be directed to the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University.

Biographical or Historical Information

The grounds of Brandeis University began to take shape as a campus during the 1920s with the start of Middlesex University.  The most significant buildings on the Middlesex campus included the Castle, the Veterinary School building (later Ford Hall), and the library, which previously served as a horse stable.  When Brandeis University took over the charter of Middlesex University shortly after the Second World War it gained ownership of the campus.  Since then, Brandeis has continuously added to and reshaped the campus and its buildings.  A significant portion of the campus was designed by the architectural firms of Max Abramovitz and Eero Saarinen.

Extent

12.00 Linear Feet

3 manuscript boxes, 3 map drawers other_unmapped

3.00 Boxes

4.00 Folders

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Arranged in five series: 1. General Architecture, 1949-1997, undated; 2. Middlesex University, 1935-1944, undated; 3. Individual Buildings, 1886-2006, undated; 4. Campus, 1949-2004, undated; 5. Joel Grushkin Exhibit, 1953-1998, undated.

For more information about each series, please consult the series descriptions in the box and folder listing.

Source of Acquisition

Acquired from a variety of sources from the 1990s to 2006, and materials from various collections have been transferred here.

Accruals and Additions

This is an artificial collection to accommodate small donations or unaffiliated donations which document the architectural development of the university. Processed and finding aid created by Eliot Wilczek in January 1999. Updated in August 2000. Folder entitled,  "Seifer Hall & Sydeman Hall," is missing and has been removed from the Individual Buildings series. -KAA, 12/29/03 Folder entitled "Ford Hall--Architectural Plans" was added to the collection on May 18, 2004. Series of architectural plans and sketches transferred from Facilities was added to the collection by Matthew Mara in July 2006.

Related Materials

Additional photographs of the Brandeis campus are in the University Photography Collection. For additional information on the history of Brandeis University search the following catalog entries in the Brandeis University libraries' on-line catalog LOUIS: Subject Search: Brandeis University Planning Subject Search: Campus planning Massachusetts Waltham http://lts.brandeis.edu/research/archives-speccoll/exhibits/building/BuildBran.html

Other Descriptive Information

Addenda to this collection may not be listed in the finding aid, but may be available for research use. Please contact us for more information. http://brandeisarchives.blogspot.com/2009/04/campus-that-brandeis-university-now.html

Author
Eliot Wilczek
Date
19990000
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
eng

Repository Details

Part of the Brandeis University Repository

Contact:
415 South St.
Waltham MA

About Us

The Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department at Brandeis University consists of two collecting units, the University Archives and Special Collections. University Archives documents the history and development of Brandeis University and its faculty, staff, students, and alumni. Special Collections features a broad array of unique primary source materials across a wide range of disciplines that support research, teaching and learning at Brandeis. Learn more about our collections