Michael Lally letters and other material
Scope and Contents
The collection at Brandeis includes fifty-seven of Lally's letters, the first dated July 16, 1861 (just before the first battle of Bull Run), and the last dated June 6, 1865 (after Lee’s surrender). The letters describe particulars of battle as well as more mundane matters, such as the need for postage stamps, handkerchiefs, a flannel shirt, or whiskey. Lally writes often about sending money home and asks for news of the family as well as friends and neighbors; his letters are sprinkled with prayers for his and his family’s safety and words of reassurance. The collection also contains a small amount of other material, including a Boston Almanac from the same period, a prayer belonging to Michael Lally, several photocopies of materials relating to his military service, and secondary materials.
- Majority of material found in 1861-1865
- Other: Date acquired: 1962-07-05
- Lally, Michael (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is in accordance with the policies of the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University. Please contact the department for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests to reproduce or publish material from the collection should be directed to the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University.
1.00 Linear Feet
1 manuscript box, 1 oversized folder other_unmapped
1.00 Linear Feet
Arranged in six series: 1. Correspondence, 1861-1865; 2. Other Materials, undated; 3. Facsimiles Government Documents, 1861-1885; 4. Photograph, undated; 5. Miscellaneous Secondary Materials, 1982-2006; 6. Certificate, 1861.
For more information about each series, please consult the series descriptions in the box and folder listing.
Source of Acquisition
Donated by Mrs. Beatrice Thomson in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Rose.
Other Descriptive Information
Addenda to this collection may not be listed in the finding aid, but may be available for research use. Please contact us for more information.
- Irish -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lally, Michael
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Participation, Immigrant Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Participation, Irish Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Katie Hargrave
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note