African, Afro-Caribbean, and African American Photographs and Ephemera Collection
Scope and Contents
The majority of this collection includes photographs of Africans, Afro-Caribbeans, and African Americans in the late 19th and early 20th century; however, including the outliers, it ranges from 1847 to around 1969. The collection also includes watercolors, engravings, trading cards, and other ephemeral items depicting people of African descent or places, people, or items relating to their history. The bulk of the collection is from the United States, while three items are from Africa and five from the Caribbean. The collection has been arranged into series by region and the items within each series have been arranged by date. Notable items in this diverse collection include a group photograph from the establishment of the National Association of Colored Women, a large number of promotional images from various entertainment agencies in New York and Chicago in the 1940’s, and an engraving of a prayer meeting in a contraband camp in 1862.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is in accordance with the policies of the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University. Please contact the department for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests to reproduce or publish material from the collection should be directed to the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University.
0.50 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged into three series based on where the images within were taken or created: Africa, the Caribbean, and the United States of America. Within the African and Caribbean series, the items are arranged in chronological order. Within the American series, the items are separated into folders that each cover a certain period of time. For the most part the items in those folders are arranged chronologically.
- African Americans -- Photographs -- 19th century Subject Source: Local sources
- African Americans -- Photographs -- 20th century Subject Source: Local sources
- Africans -- Photographs -- 19th century Subject Source: Local sources
- Africans -- Photographs -- 20th century Subject Source: Local sources
- Trading cards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Watercolor painting Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- West Indians -- Photographs -- 19th century Subject Source: Local sources
- West Indians -- Photographs -- 20th Century Subject Source: Local sources
- Hallie Appel
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note