Arthur Laurents collection
Scope and Contents
The Arthur Laurents collection consists primarily of typescripts of several plays and screenplays; it also includes some correspondence and clippings relating to Laurents's productions. Of particular note is a collection of letters documenting the development of West Side Story and of I Can Get it for You Wholesale, which includes correspondence from Irving Berlin, Jerome Robbins, and Harold Rome. The typescripts are arranged alphabetically, and the correspondence is grouped by correspondent and then arranged chronologically. The material in the collection was created between 1942 and 1964.
- 1939-1964, undated
- Majority of material found in 1942-1964
- Laurents, Arthur (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is in accordance with the policies of the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University. Please contact the department for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests to reproduce or publish material from the collection should be directed to the Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department, Brandeis University.
6.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Donated by Arthur Laurents.
Other Descriptive Information
Addenda to this collection may not be listed in the finding aid, but may be available for research use. Please contact us for more information.
- Berlin, Irving, 1888-1989
- Dramatists, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Laurents, Arthur
- Motion picture producers and directors -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Musicals -- Production and direction -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Robbins, Jerome
- Rome, Harold, 1908-1993
- Screenwriters -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theatrical producers and directors -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Katie Hargrave
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note